City of Appleton
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bus Driver - Part-time
at City of Appleton
- Job Description
This position is responsible for the part-time day-to-day operation of a city bus as well as school routes. Work involves safety inspection of bus prior to use, transporting citizens to and from designated bus stops, collection of fares, and daily record keeping. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Transit Operations Supervisors.
- Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Drives city or tripper routes on a part-time basis; boards and discharges passengers, including wheelchair passengers, at designated bus stops; collects fares from passengers; answers questions and gives directions.
• Performs routine safety inspections on vehicle prior to taking bus onto public roadway and at end of shift.
• Communicates and monitors radio while on duty to ensure passenger and public safety, effective transfers, and on-time performance.
• Records ridership information and logs daily fare accumulation.
• Checks bulletin board, daily assignment board, and is up to date on route information, schedule changes, detour information, weather conditions, etc.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
• Distributes printed informational materials to passengers.
• Monitors and maintains the interior and exterior condition of the vehicle.
- Typical Qualifications
Requires experience or the ability to learn the operation of buses and related equipment supplemented by experience in public relations activities or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Considerable knowledge of defensive driving techniques.
• Knowledge in the basic mechanical operation of buses and other vehicular equipment.
• Knowledge in the use and operation of radio communications systems.
• Ability to drive a bus safely and on schedule in all weather conditions.
• Ability to read and understand street maps and directions.
• Ability to cope with stress, make independent decisions and exercise sound judgement in stressful or emergency situations and follow time tables.
• Ability to withstand local weather conditions.
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Ability to pass the pre-employment physical and drug screen.
• Ability to comply with the City Drug and Alcohol Policy.
• Ability to effectively deal with ADA service requirements in a safe, effective manner.
• Reliability in attendance and promptness in reporting to work.
• Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with the P endorsement and a Federal Medical Card.
- Supplemental Information
Candidates will select one of the schedule options below and may obtain additional hours by making themselves available for other open hours.
Option #1 – Union represented Part Time Driver (non-benefited)
Monday – Friday 5:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. & Saturday 7:25 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
1B. Availability Monday – Saturday 1:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Option #2 - Union represented Part Time Driver (non-benefited)
Availability 3 days per week (with one day being a Saturday every other week)5:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. (Saturday shift start would be 7:25 a.m.)
Option #3 – Union represented Tripper Drivers (non-benefited)
Availability for tripper routes Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. AND 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (when school is not in sessions Part Time Tripper Driver may sign the overtime board listing when they are available. On dates with delayed school start, Tripper Drivers would be exempt from being available for the a.m. shift.)